Thursday, June 23, 2011

When a Word is Worth a Thousand Pictures

Sumie and I have been very cautious when it comes to acknowledging a new word in Mimi's vocabulary.  We wait until she can both hear and say a specific word and make the proper associations.  For instance, with "wan-wan" (doggie), Mimi is able to pick out her stuffed dog or point to dogs on the street when we say it and she blurts it out consistently in "dog-related" situations.   So, because of these stringent guidelines, it is with great pleasure (and slight immodesty) that I share Mimi's second word: Papa.

Watching Mimi's linguistic development over the past several weeks, finally being able to study her throughout an entire day, has been fascinating.  She's now attempting to copy almost everything her mother and I say.  Her recitations take some very odd forms.  In most cases it's simply babbling, with some similar consonants or vowels thrown in.  Occasionally she'll get pretty close.  She still loves to pull off my glasses and when she does, she'll sometimes say, "garala."  In other instances she'll mouth the word she wants to say, with what looks like fair accuracy, but forget to make sound.  It reminds me just how complicated even the basic act of speaking can be and how quickly we take that gift for granted. 

Each word, both in terms of recognition and use, is so hardly won.  Substantial input, effort, and analysis is needed for just one word to stick.  Here's an example: Mimi is finally starting to recognize the phrase "Do you want to eat?" by raising her hand in the affirmative.  We've been doing this with every meal for months, but only now has it sunk in (and not necessarily every time). 

Note the smirk of extreme satisfaction on Mimi's face having gotten that linguistic phrase right!  I can't help but feel with Mimi's developing language skills she sometimes gets frustrated simply because she wants to convey something, but literally does not have the words to do so.  She's beginning to understand what words are for and, like a man with writer's block, she's going to get flustered when they don't come.  My job, I believe, is to share as many words and their meanings with her as I can.  As such, I'm constantly talking with Mimi, often about concepts she simply wouldn't be interested in.  This may make me sound a bit crazy at times - I highly doubt most babies are interested in the socio-political mire of the 1870s New York - but I think it's helping her to learn and helping me to stay sane.  Too much baby talk and I'd go nuts! 

Along with her language development Mimi is becoming more inquisitive.  She's now taken up the habit of looking under things.  She's not looking for anything in particular; she's just checking to see "what's under there."  Unfortunately, not all places she likes to check are "socially appropriate."  Most, though, are just fine.  Here's a pic of Mimi checking out Sumie's pockets yesterday when we met her for lunch.  In some ways she's just copying her mommy. 
Naturally, this didn't last too long.  Sumie soon got a page.  Notice Mimi's expression.  At this point I think she is copying my reaction to Sumie's pages. 
Her walking skills have also improved tremendously, particularly since I've been home with her.  The other day I was washing bottles in the kitchen and put the dishwasher door down.  This was an excellent platform for Mimi to test out her cruising skills.  Soon, while standing, she had grabbed a spoon and was dipping it into the (empty) soap tray and then bringing it up to her mouth.  She was play eating!  How cool!  She got so involved in this that she actually forgot to hold onto the dishwasher and stood independently for a few seconds.  Two firsts for Mimi and all I had to do was leave the dishwasher open and take care of some chores.  Nice.  Exhausted from these accomplishments, Mimi then kicked back with a refreshing and invigorating Red Bull.
Lastly, she's taken to walking around the apartment with her baby walker.  It took several weeks for Mimi to build up the confidence to use this well, but over the last few days, now that she knows she can take a tumble and be OK, she's improved tremendously.  Yesterday she was able to walk across the entire apartment and back.  She even learned how to change direction (up to 90 degrees so far) when she gets stuck.  Well done!
Looking forward to what the next month will hold developmentally for Mimi.  It'll be our last in NYC.  I doubt it will happen, but I'd love for her to take her first steps as a New Yorker.  We'll see. 

Steve
P.S.  No, I didn't actually give my baby Red Bull.  She has enough energy as it is (so much so that I sometimes need to drink Red Bull)!

1 comment:

Guitargo said...

Hooray for Mimi! The pictures are adorable, especially the self satisfied smirk.