Sunday, June 5, 2011

Best Wedding Band Ever

Sunday, June 5th: ~9:30am

Saturday night Sumie and I drove down to Radnor, PA, just outside of Philly, to attend the wedding of our friends Angela and Charlie.  What a remarkable evening. 

The event itself was held on the green, expansive grounds of the "Commander": intrepid beekeeper, patriarch of Charlie's family, and apparent bon vivant.  There was ample green for each of the events - wedding ceremony, cocktails, reception dinner and dancing - to have its own space.  Below is a shoddy iPhone picture of the cocktail area and reception tent which aggressively fails to do this remarkable home justice.  This was the kind of setting wedding movies strive for!
The food, drinks, setting, and company were all stand-outs.  But it was the band, and the frenetic dancing they summoned, that perhaps impressed most.  A modern-day combination of Otis Day and the Knights from the movie Animal House and Fleetwood Mac, they filled the dance floor by the middle of the first song.  Even Sumie and I, who tend to abstain from dancing with an almost religious fervor, ended up on the floor bouncing with the beat. Angela and Charlie, congratulations on your new life together and on an amazing celebration of it!

We returned to Sumie's parents house to find Mimi sound asleep in the crib.  Well done, Obachan and Ojichan!

She had been a great little girl, despite our fears, and apparently didn't give her mother or father a second thought after they left.  This is, of course, the result we wanted, but I can't help but feel a little father-ego deflation.  Hmm.  I guess I'm really not all that needed.  I know it's not true, and of course I want my daughter to be independent and happy to be on her own, but there's a little part of me that lives for that smile she gives me when I come home that seems to say, "Thank goodness, Daddy's finally back!"  In short, though, we're both very proud of our courageous little one. 

-Steve

1 comment:

achooster said...

You shouldve stayed longer! I told you she wouldn't miss you! :0)