Tuesday, December 27, 2011

Santa = Screaming and Anguished Newborns and Toddlers, Annually

My family has a Christmas tradition of playing Santa. 

It began with my Mom's father, who donned the red cap each year for his son and three daughters.  Years later, my father followed in his footsteps, bringing one special gift to my sister and I  every Christmas Eve.  Around 8pm, after Dad had excused himself with an upset stomach or severe exhaustion (in later years, my sister and I would encourage my father to "go take a nap" on Christmas Eve), we'd hear sleigh bells coming up the porch to the front door.  Santa would sit with us, share the presents he'd brought, get assurances for our behavior next year, and then leave with a cookie or two.  And he always wore the hand-made red felt suit crafted by my grandmother.  The same suit I wore for Mimi two nights ago. 

On Christmas Day, Sumie, Mimi, and I gathered for a family party in the east bay.  This was with my step-father Randy's side of the family.  They had, thanks to my mother's encouragement, adopted an annual visit from Santa.  For the past several years, Jeff had played Santa for both his own kids and his brother's.  But the eldest, age 8, was becoming a little skeptical.  It was time for a change, so I agreed to take on the challenge.  After all, it would be Mimi's first visit from Santa.  Maybe she'd take to him if he were more familiar. 

Santa came in with sleigh bells ringing.  The kids flocked to the door.  Even Mimi.
The three boys - even the doubting Thomas 8 year old - had a wonderful time with Santa.  The two little girls, both younger than the boys, had a different take on the fat man's visit.  Lucey, who is 2 years old now, was scared, but still brave enough to sit next to Santa under mommy's careful watch.  Mimi, however, wanted nothing to do with the loud, bearded, and fashionably questionable visitor. 

Here's a picture of Sumie, Mimi, and I before I dressed as Santa.
And here's one after.
Mimi's rejected me countless times, even kicking and screaming, but never did I think I'd inspire such abject terror in my little girl.  At least Sumie was brave enough to give Santa a little cuddle before he had to head back to the north pole. 
It was a wonderful Christmas holiday.  Incredibly busy - hence no blog posts - but wonderfully well spent.  Though this was technically Mimi's second Christmas, I think it was the first one she really enjoyed.  Apart from that visit from Santa.  I wonder if she'll feel differently next year.  I'll probably play him again.  And, most likely, I'll be rejected.  I guess my years in high school were good practice for playing Santa for toddlers. 

1 comment:

Christie Veitch said...

My fam and our neighbors across the streeet had an arrangement where their father played Santa for us one night, and our father for them the next. There were occasional tears, though never mine. I'm always a little amused at children crying because of Santa - does that make me a bad person??