Saturday, December 3, 2011

Papa! Hey, I Can Say Papa Again!

It's been a quiet weekend so far.  We'd had grander plans for today, plans that better fit the glorious sunshine, but after awaking with a massive sinus headache this morning, I decided to nap as Sumie and Mimi played the morning away in the park.  I was feeling better, though not 100% (still not there), by the time they got back. 

I'd wanted to go out to play, but, in hindsight, I'm glad that I didn't.  Mimi sprung a little surprise on me when she returned and I don't think it would've happened had she not spent some substantial time away from her father. 

I was still in bed when Mimi and Sumie returned.  As they clambered up the stairs I set my book aside and started calling out "Mimiko!  Mimiko!"  I heard a squeal, followed by the violent patter of a little girl who can't yet bend her knees while running.  She burst into the bedroom and pointed right at me. 

Out of bed I stood before my two-foot tall inquisitor with her scowl of severe concentration.  What was going on in that little head?  Was she mad at me?  What had I done?  And what's with the pointing?  "Infidel!" she seemed to cry.  But then, finally, something clicked, and out came the two syllables she'd be struggling over for so long.  "Papa!" 

She'd remembered.  And damn if she wasn't proud of it.  Back and forth from Mama to Papa she ran, calling out "Mama" as she hugged Sumie and then "Papa" as she sprinted towards me.  This went on for almost ten minutes.  She couldn't get over her accomplishment.  To be fair, she's still not 100% accurate.  Mimi managed to call me "Mama," "bapo" (diaper), and "bapee" (potty) in her excitement - she's still coming to terms with the term - but overall, I think she's got it.  It's amazing how the connections are forming in her brain.  I knew the word "Papa" was in there somewhere.  It just took the right circumstances to bring it back to the forefront and, hopefully, lock it in for good. 

The rest of the afternoon was lazy, but good.  We had a little lunch, which suited Mimi just fine.
Nice and full, she turned to scribbling at her table and then some quality time with her friends C3PO, Storm Trooper, and Yoda. 
Mimi, learning how to share more and more each day, made sure Mama got to have fun with the Star Wars gang as well.
Ah, in another year or two it'll be time to bring out the original Star Wars stuff for Mimi.  If her language development continues, I think she'll at least be able to say "Thank you, Papa!" when the time comes.  At the very least I hope she won't call me "diaper."  

No comments: