Monday, December 5, 2011

More Sharing; More Obstinance

On Sunday Mimi received a visit from her cousins, Shuhei and Asuka, and their parents, Shu and Kayo.  It was a bit of a surprise visit - they were coming by with a giant load of persimmons for us - and I was a bit apprehensive about how Mimi would behave.  She'd refused her nap that day and, as we've seen in these pages previously, she hasn't always been a sweetheart when it comes to sharing. 

Mimi, though, had other plans.  I think she just wanted to play.  So, when Shuhei and Asuka began rummaging through her Star Wars bath toys, sitting in her rocking chair, and drawing at her new table, she let it slide and joined in.  In the past, Mimi would play, but she liked to be on her own.  And when it came to her own toys, she was very protective.  The toy she wanted to play with was always whatever toy the other child had.  By the end of playtime, she'd have a "hoarder's pile" of toys she'd pilfered from other toddlers.  But this time - and I have no idea what sparked the change - Mimi's play was different.  Not only was she sharing, she was collaborating. 

Here's Mimi and Asuka at Mimi's table.  Notice that there are papers and crayons still on Asuka's side.  Amazing!
Shuhei and Asuka then took turns pushing Mimi in her rocking chair.  She loved it!  More importantly, she didn't hoard the chair once they were done.  She simply ran off and let Shuhei use her chair for a while, without complaint!
Mimi even got into the spirit of sharing.  Shuei had received two new Transformers robots from his uncle and one of these two was always in his hands.  That meant he was interested in them and, as Mimi was quick to notice, one was always in reach.  Mimi couldn't resist.  Shuhei, much to his credit, deigned to let Mimi play with his new toys, though he did look a little concerned from time to time.  And Mimi, amazingly, learned that it could be fun to give things back to their original owner.  In fact, she loved it.  Now if only I could get her to feel that way about letting her father work on his computer. 

I was a very proud, and quite surprised, Papa last night.  Mimi's been wonderfully giggly and cute this past week, even more than normal, but she's also been tremendously obstinate.  Every infectious giggle or heart-wrenching little smile has been balanced by manic tantrums and brazen refusals.  She's been particularly challenging in two venues: clothing and sleeping. 

First, clothing.  Observe Mimi in the beautiful hat she insisted I place upon her head.
Mimi managed to rip this hat off, despite it being tied firmly to her head, in a scant 1.7 seconds.  It's been a similar story with jackets, onesies, shirts, sweaters, and socks.  She'll demand a specific piece of clothing and then, once it's on, flail about screaming bloody murder and gouging out her eyes until it's removed.  I know she's a toddler, but c'mon.  If I did this just once, my wife would have me committed.

Sleep has been the other challenge.  Just a week ago, when nap- or bed-time came around all I had to do was give Mimi her bottle, let her drink it down, say, "Ne-ne" (Shall we sleep?"), pick her up, and lay her down in her crib.  She'd even rest her head on my shoulder and pat me on the back when I'd say, "Cuddle, cuddle." 

Today, things are different.  I do think she's teething, but there must be something else going on as well.  Two nights ago Mimi channeled Mike Tyson and went to work on my face with her hands, my gut with her legs, and my forehead with her own.  It wasn't pretty.  We weren't able to get her down until 11:00 that night. 

Naps are even worse.  Yesterday she rejected the entire concept of napping.  This doesn't make for a happy Papa, especially when he has a cold.  But it didn't stop there.  Mimi had another surprise for me.  She'd decided to take her napping rebellion up a notch by combining it with her disdain for clothing.  I had put Mimi in her crib wearing a shirt, sweater, pants, and socks.  Here's what I found wailing at me a scant 30 minutes later. 
Despite the rebellion, Mimi's come a long way since we've moved to San Francisco.  With each day I see more and more of her personality poking through the growing pains.  And I like what I'm seeing.

No comments: