Wednesday, November 12, 2014

Breakfast for Three, Headlands for Four

This past weekend was the first in about two months that we didn't have a fully packed schedule.  It wasn't entirely free, though.  Sumie had to work Saturday and I had a full slate.  The day began with taking Sumie's car in for service at 8:00am.  Thankfully, they had a loaner car as I had two kids with me.  After transferring both carseats, and then both children, we were ready to go.

I told Mimi that the three of us would go out to breakfast.  Normally, going out to eat would send her into rapturous joy, but Saturday morning was gymnastics morning.  As such, Mimi was concerned she'd miss it.  I ensured her we'd make it on time (not fully sure, but pretty sure) and made the concession to eat near her gym.  This seemed to satisfy her.  At least for the first ten minutes.

We went into Novato and ate at the Rustic Bakery, which has wonderful croissants and sandwiches. They also have tables spaced far enough apart to navigate a stroller.

Kuri was, as always, fascinated by his older sister.
Upon finishing, I dumped the 1,400 raisins, which Kuri had spilled, out of the stroller, fed them to the birds, and took the kids for a quick walk while waiting for Mimi's gymnastics class.  Once again, Kuri couldn't look away from his big sister.  I sometimes wonder what he's thinking, and if there isn't a hint of horror.  
A very lazy Sunday morning bled into afternoon.  It wasn't until 3:00 that the whole family roused itself for an afternoon drive.  We headed out to the Marin Headlands for a peak at the Bonita Lighthouse.  Kuri approved.
We missed the lighthouse by about 10 minutes (they close the tunnel at 3:30), but still hiked down the trail.  We were rewarded with a beautiful view of the Golden Gate on a spectacular, fog-free afternoon.  
We hiked back up and briefly explored Battery Mendell on the hill.  I was saddened.  As a kid, I had stayed at the hostel here and the rooms of the battery had been open.  It was fascinating: a memory I have kept the past 30 years.  Today, they are closed and barred, I suppose for safety.  I can't help but feel it's a loss.  I wish the forts and bunkers could be opened for us to explore, at least once in a while.

Mama and Mimi cuddled on a tree...
...and then hiked up one of the many underground bunkers, now covered with ice plant.  
 Mimi loved running down the hills...
 ...and then down the road, despite calls from her parents.
By the time it was time to go, Mimi was fairly worn out.  Kuri, however, was still up for fun.
With the sun starting to go down, we headed to dinner in Tiburon.  We explored the downtown and settled into a little Italian restaurant with great food and semi-behaved children.  We made it through half our entrees before I had to leave the restaurant with Kuri for some distractive sightseeing.

It wasn't much of a weekend, but it was the first time in ages we didn't have a schedule.  I loved it. Why is it that everything is so much more enjoyable when you're not forced to do it?  Perhaps I should take this into consideration at dinner time with Mimi. Nah, she still wouldn't eat.

No comments: