Thursday, March 15, 2012

Little Puddle Jumper

Even as a little kid - well, at least as far back as I can remember - I've enjoyed rainy days.  Not that I love a life in the cold and wet, but I do like a bit of drizzle, damp, and rain from time to time.  Thunder storms are particular favorites.  As a kid up in northern California I'd sit and watch the rain fall and the lightning strike from the relative security of our front porch or back patio.  25 years later you could find me on the balcony of our apartment on Manhattan's Upper East Side, in the middle of a Nor' Easter, relishing the rumble of the thunder and actively ignoring my wife who kept mumbling about a dry living room. 

The past few days have been stormy here in San Francisco and I haven't minded it a bit.  In fact, I've been out more than ever.  I've also learned a little something new about my little girl.  Not sure if she enjoys storms as much as her father, but she definitely likes puddles. 

The sidewalks were wet after I picked up Mimi from daycare yesterday.  As we made our way home, Mimi began running for every puddle she could find.  It was cute, but she wasn't exactly dressed for it.  The pants and jacket were fine, but she was wearing her favorite pair of red patent leather shoes.  Not exactly puddle stompers. 
As soon as we got home Mimi switched into her rain boots and we hit the streets.  Puddles abhor hills, so the pickings were slim immediately in front of our house. 
We bumbled down the sidewalk to the street below.  The driveway cuts made great stomping grounds, but the fun was short lived.  Mimi kept making a break for the larger puddles in the middle of the street.  Not the safest activity for a toddler, so we decided to check our backyard for some suitable puddles. 
Unfortunately, with all the freshly and well-laid concrete, the puddles were few and far between. 
Mimi found one, though, and it kept her busy until she discovered all the flowers sprouting in the March rain. 
Our landlord planted "flowers" for us.  That's all I know.  She said that they'd basically take care of themselves and there was a wide variety so we'd get blooms several times throughout the year.  I'd like to share their names with Mimi, but I've never had an aptitude or even interest in gardening. 
Still, I really do want to share with Mimi, as concretely as possible, the terms for the little discoveries she makes each day.  So far she's got the idea of "flower" down.  And she knows it in Japanese as well: "hana."  I think she likes finding flowers.  I suppose she should, being a little girl and all. 
Some sharp-eyed readers may have noticed the pattern on Mimi's coat.  Before you think I'm spoiling her, sending her outside to play in the puddles dressed in Burberry, know this.  I found the jacket at Goodwill.  It's used, has no label, and cost $4.00.  Thankfully, Mimi doesn't know the difference either way.  The brand doesn't impress her and the fact that it's used, and quite possible fake, is of no concern.  It's the best of both worlds.  To Mimi, it's just a jacket perfect for a day out in the rain.  And that's perfect for me as well.