Wednesday, September 7, 2011

It's a Fake. And Just This Once, I Don't Care.

Brands have never held much sway in my life.  Outside of a passing penchant for "Gotcha" shirts in the mid '80s, my closet has remained relatively pedestrian and anonymous.  Some may say this is because I have no fashion sense.  I don't deny it.  You've all seen the pictures on this blog.

And it's not as if I dislike brands.  My favorite suit, and my one clothing extravagance, is from Burberry.  It's amazing.  Worn with the right shirt it can take 30 pounds off my rotund frame.  And it isn't even black!  Granted, it wasn't cheap - "Money hides flab," as my wife likes to say - but I didn't buy it for the name.  I bought it for what it could do.  I think this is why I've never been that brand conscious. 

That being said, I can be downright puritanical when it comes to certain items.  In short, I like my cars German, my beer micro, and the fidelity of my audio equipment mind-numbingly high.  But still, even in the rarefied air of German autobahn stormers and handmade tube electronics, I've no real brand loyalty.  What matters to me is the product, not the label.   I think that's why I've never understood buying fake designer bags, shoes, etc.  I'd rather have a quality piece with no name than something thrown together with a misleading label.  If you really need the real thing, save up for it.  You'll be happier in the long run.

It's this long-standing belief of mine that now has me in a spot of trouble.  I've broken my rule and I'm not sure what to think.

I bought a fake.  I'm a cheater.  Living out the high fashion dream with low-rent resources.  My God, I disgust myself.  But, then again, the disgust is rather easy to live with when one is so comfortable, so cradled, and so perfectly positioned for reading or typing.

Yes, my friends, I bought a copy of the renowned Eames Lounge Chair and Ottoman.  I've lusted after this chair since I first sat in one well over a decade ago.  I considered purchasing an original - would've loved to, actually - but given that I could buy a mid 70s Mercedes 280se in great condition for the same amount, I had to hold off.  Did I do wrong?  My principles say "yes," but my butt says, "no."

Mimi likes it, though.  Even for a 15 month old it is fantastic for lounging or reading.
Wracked with conflict, this afternoon I decided to leave my infamous purchase at home and take Mimi for a walk in Golden Gate park.  Stepping out the front door we were greeted by a sight seldom seen in the Richmond District of SF.
Yes, that's a completely clear, completely blue sky.  Under this glorious ceiling we headed into the park to visit Stow Lake.  What an amazing place, and right in the middle of the city.
We walked the entire lake and then took a brief rest in a nearby meadow.  Mimi kicked back with some juice.
She then wanted to stretch her legs.  I think that this was done to better pummel the man holding the camera.
The time in the park did me good.  My head was much clearer.  We returned home where I began work on this blog post in my new chair.  Still slightly conflicted, but very, very comfortable.

No comments: