Monday, August 1, 2016

Camping: Two Nights, Two Kids, One Dad

Staying home with kids results in some strained interior monologues. After a time, your brain can't help but try to make your life more of an adventure. Take this morning's thread. There's a scene in The Empire Strikes Back in which Han Solo is rushing Princess Leia to her transport. An ice wall crashes and blocks their path. He calls the transport and tells them he'll get her out on his ship. This morning, I had the following run through my head as I was taking Mimi to summer camp, with Kuri in tow: "Summer Camp, this is Steven. I can't find the key to the Pilot. I'll get Mimi out in the Porsche."

Yes. Ridiculous. I couldn't help but mock myself immediately after this played in my head. And, so embarrassed was I, I'm here mocking myself in public. Nonetheless, it did make for a slightly more exciting camp run.

Now, while many days require generating a bit of pretend excitement, a few come with more than enough built-in. This was definitely the case when I decided (somewhat foolishly, as some, such as my spouse, thought) to take a six year old and a two year old camping...by myself.

We decided to go mid-week. Partially because we wanted to spend the weekend with Mari and Mama, but mainly because I hemmed and hawed so long about whether or not I could make the trip, those were the only days available. By the time I had finished packing the car, I was thankful that we'd gotten a Pilot. Camping with kids is not a Porsche 911 activity (though the windy roads would've been much more fun).
There was a modicum of method to my camping plan madness. My primary requirement was that we had a tent cabin. Thankfully, Big Basin State Park, just northeast of Santa Cruz, fit the bill perfectly.
Mimi and Kuri had their own redwoods to explore on our campsite..
 ...and lots of quiet road to work out their energy (so glad I brought their glide bikes).
The redwoods, as always, were astounding. Mimi was particularly fond of the "holes" in some of the trees, and tenaciously sought out as many as she could.
She also loved sitting on fallen trees. This is early in our trip, so she'd chosen a smaller one. Greater feats were to come.
 Mimi was having a blast...
 ...and, on the first day at least, Kuri was a bit introspective. He takes a while to warm up.
Still, he loved exploring with his big sister.
 Notice the fallen trees with kids on them getting bigger?
One challenge we had with Kuri is that he's 2. He needs to run everywhere, but he can't cover more than 30 yards without falling over. Unfortunately, he has a cleanliness issue, too, so every time he tripped, tears would well up and there would need to be a thorough cleaning (I went through 3/4 of a giant pack of baby wipes in two days). Thankfully, he bounces back quickly. Here he is proudly telling me, "Papa, I'm not sad!"
After our first day's hike, we returned to the campsite where Mimi and Kuri spent some time on their contemplation stump...
 ...and then we tucked into dinner. This they ate remarkably quickly because they knew that once they finished they could...
...roast marshmallows! Oh, and if you're wondering, no, we did not attempt s'mores. There was no way I was adding chocolate to this equation.
 That night we read books by the light of our propane lantern...
 ...and the soft glow of an old iPhone.
There were a few tears that first night. They really missed their Mama and Marichan, but they were brave and soon feel asleep after a little cuddling (and a third glass of water). The next morning we put on some jackets and played a little Fruit Ninja to warm up.
Then Mimi spent a little more time on her contemplation stump. I was worried she was a bit sad, but no, she said she was just thinking about the forest.
We went on a hike to one of the waterfalls...
...and Mimi snapped a great pic of Kuri and me during a water break.
Bridges over creeks were a particular favorite.
After our morning hike, we returned to the main camp center and did some apple roasting.
And, of course, Mimi insisted on climbing some fallen trees. As you can tell, she got to a point where she exceeded her little brother's courage.
By the time we got back to our campsite, both kids were completely tuckered out.
That night we made an even bigger fire...
 ...Kuri goofed around, hopped up on marshmallows...
...and decided it was time for him to take some pictures.
After two nights in the woods, it felt good to come home. Mimi and Kuri both went bananas when they saw Mama. They then huddled around Marichan, telling her stories of their adventures with Papa, to which Mari giggled and smiled.  I was quite proud of my two brave little campers.

The next week, still feeling adventurous, we went into the Marin Headlands to visit the Marin Mammal Center.
Kuri liked the sea lions.
 We then put our newly acquired hiking skills to the test at one of the old, abandoned forts.
Mimi was our trail blazer. She had no fear. She even took us down a pair of mysterious steps that led to an old, abandoned bunker.
Kuri needed a little encouragement, but he built up enough courage to stand on the steps for a while.
I'm very thankful to say that this first camping trip with the kids was a success and that it's sparked an interest in them for exploring nature. Yes, it was a bit challenging at times, and yes, I probably need to buy stock in a diaper wipe company if I am to go again (Kuri really likes his hands to be clean), but it was totally worth it. We hope to bring Mama and Mari next time if we can talk the city girl into a little "roughing it." Granted, what we did was considered by most to be "glamping," but my wife's definition of the term differs from most. "Glamping is staying at the Ahwahnee."

No comments: