Sunday, October 9, 2011

A Baby, a Bicycle, and an Out-of-Shape Papa

Thanks to the insidious and ridiculous California vehicle emissions laws, we are now a one-car family.

The California Smog Board and I go way back.  It's been a contentious relationship, to say the least.  My first Karmann Ghia, a red 1968 beauty, had been converted to dual carburetors.  As such, even though it ran cleaner than a stock engine, it failed the visual smog inspection.  Lucky for me, my father managed to total the car before we had to convert it back to stock.  My second Karmann Ghia also struggled passing environmental muster.  My Porsche 914 passed with flying colors when I first bought it but, after two years, the rubber attachment to the smog pump had worn out.  They don't make them anymore.  It took 3 months to smog that car.

And so it came as no surprise that my 1994 BMW, which passed the emissions test with flying colors in New York, failed miserably here in California.  It looks like it will cost more than the car is worth to get it to pass smog, and that's only good for two years.  And so, with my poor car in storage awaiting a sympathetic mechanic or charitable donation, we are a one car family.


For the most part it's working out rather well.  Sumie is able to take the bus to work 2 to 3 days out of the week, so I have the car about half the time.  Our neighborhood is definitely walkable - and I need the exercise - so when I'm without the car Mimi and I limit our adventures to the stroller accessible.


Walking, for the most part, has been great, but it has severely limited our range.  Without the car we can venture, at most, a mile or so out before we need to come trudging back.  Mimi's patience and my feet have kept us rather close to home and with so much to see in Golden Gate Park and the Presidio, we were really missing out.  We needed a new form of transport.  We needed a bicycle. 


And now we have one.  Well, I guess technically we've always had it, just not with us.  My red Schwinn mountain bike, purchased brand new when I was in 6th grade, has been rescued from storage and brought back into operation.  This is the same bicycle I rode in college.  The same bike that survived a 20mph collision with a three-foot pole, a misjudgement on my part that sent me flying, shoeless, a good 10 feet or more.  It's good to have it back.


I picked up a bicycle trailer for hauling Mimi.  I'm not the most coordinated of men, so I'd rather Mimi be safely behind me in a topple-proof cart than strapped to the frame of my bike when I inevitably fall over.
Our first ride was short, but a lot of fun.  We covered, at most, 40 blocks with only a few minor hills.  With pit stops we were out a scant 30 minutes, but by the time I returned, my legs were throbbing, my lungs burning, and my head pounding.  The Mimi-trailer package weighs about 50lbs - a considerable payload for a bicycle - but it's no excuse for my severe huffing and puffing.  I had thought with all my walking that I was building some strength and stamina.  I had thought wrong.  And so, now that I have my own helmet and a sturdy bike lock, we're going to do some exploring and try to get Papa back into at least "mildly morbid" shape.


I hope that Mimi enjoys these bicycle outings we'll be taking.  She liked the first one just fine save for one continual annoyance: her helmet.  She loves playing with it at home - ripping out the pads and twisting them into her hair - but when it comes to wearing it, she's not a fan.  Here she is before our ride.  Note that she's using both hands in a vain attempt to rip that helmet off.
And here she is upon our return.  She's still trying to remove that pesky helmet, but at least she's down to one hand.  Maybe that had to do with the death grip she had on her bottle. 

No idea when I'll have a car of my own again.  Maybe sometime in 2012, maybe 2013.  But I am sure of two things.  1. Mimi and I will be going on plenty of bike rides on non-rainy days; 2. My next car will be a 1975 or older.  California Smog Exempt!

No comments: