Thursday, August 18, 2011

Extra, Extra! Mimi Can Walk!

Although Mimi has been strolling with her walker, or with her hand tightly grasped in Sumie's or mine, for the past month or so, she had been hesitant to take steps on her own.  Just a bit insecure, I guess.

That all changed yesterday.  When Grandma was visiting she made a few cautious steps between me and the couch.  She'd attempted this before, generally when she was so obsessed with something beyond her reach that she forgot to be afraid, so I didn't take it as a breakthrough.  By the evening, though, Mimi was ready to walk.  She started off with about 5 steps, shuffling between Sumie and me, but that soon grew to 20+.  Before we knew it the clock had spun past 10pm and Mimi was making laps around the house.

This morning she's back on her walker.  I wonder when she'll remember that she can actually walk on her own.  She's staring imploringly at me now, as if she wants me to remind her of something.  I'm holding off for a few more minutes to see if she'll figure it out again on her own.

Until then, I'll be watching the video below.  Maybe I'll show it to Mimi to jog her memory (please forgive the pun).

No comments: