Tuesday, April 7, 2015

Will My Kids Have it Better than I Did?

It's hard to even remember the last month. I suppose that's why phones have cameras: so that we can remember what we did the week before.

Despite my early onset Alzheimer's, I do recall many of the very special moments from the past few weeks. We visited Great Grandma up in Sacramento. Mimi was calm enough to pause for photos...
 ...but Kuri had other ideas.
He spent most of his time looking for balls.
Mimi, on the other hand, found a worm...
...and bravely picked it up to show us.
We also spent Easter with all our step-cousins.
Mimi was particularly adept at hunting for easter eggs.
She skipped through fields...
...searched high and low...
...and endured the paparazzi as she sought them out.
Kuri requried a bit more help at first...
 ...but soon gained some independence...
...and struck out on his own.
By the end of the day, all the cousins had collected their share of eggs. It was a great day out.
     The past few weeks, spent so richly with family, have got me thinking about my own childhood. In particular, I've been wondering if my own children will have as good a situation, if not better, than my own. This is in no way a reflection of the childhood I had - in hindsight, I can say I was quite fortunate - but as a parent, I can't help but hope that my children will experience even greater benefits and opportunities than those I enjoyed. I've been thinking about this quite a bit over the past few weeks. Here are a few aspects of growing up I've been considering...

World View and Cultural Exposure:
     Given that Mimi and Kuri's father grew up in Paradise, CA, this is not an easy one to guess. As bi-cultural, bi-racial, and bi-lingual children, Mimi and Kuri have far greater insight and access to understanding the world as a multicultural and dynamic place. They have traveled more in their first few years than I ever did in my first 20. To be honest, I'm envious.
     At the same time, I wonder how Mimi and Kuri will identify as half American and half Japanese. There will be times that they'll be considerably challenged. Here in America, they'll most likely be considered Japanese. In Japan, they'll definitely be considered foreigners. Their mother and I both have a defined cultural background. For Mimi and Kuri, it's not so clear. I still think they have a tremendous opportunity to be raised in two rich cultures, but similarly, I don't genuinely know the challenges that will come with it.

Cost of Life:
     In 1976, the year I born, the median home price in the US was $46,000. In 2010, the year Mimi was born, it was $241,000. That's an increase of 5x. Sadly, the buying power of a dollar only increased by 4x. It's not a huge difference, but still a considerable one, especially when one takes into account the cost of education. While housing prices have increase five-fold, there has been a twelve-fold increase when it comes to a college degree. Without parental help (even in my own experience), this kind of debt can be crippling. I have no idea how much we'll be able to help Mimi and Kuri in the future, but my goal is for them to at least get their bachelor's degrees with no strings attached. Maybe this will mean paying for everything at great expense, or maybe we'll finally get our act together in the country and begin funding higher education again. Right now, I'm currently not counting on ever seeing my social security. I'd feel a hell of a lot better paying it every month if I knew it would used to send kids to college.

Entertainment / Pop Culture:
    I'm really split on this one. I marvel at what Mimi and Kuri have access to. At the stroke of a key or the swipe of a finger I can pull up virtually any song, movie, or TV show for them. The content is instant and unlimited. At the same time, it is fleeting. No longer do we listen to an entire album or share all the same shows (because they're the only ones available). Will my kids ever experience a TV show like the Smurfs or the Simpsons where everyone you knew tuned in? Will their experience be fragmented, and if so, does that matter? After all, I can guide them. I'm thankful for being able to share all the shows I did with my friends, but I do wonder if I'd be any different if I'd grown up with instant access to the BBC.
Cars:
     This, of course, is a stupid category, but I can't help but mention it as someone who has loved cars since before he could speak. My first drive in a Porsche (a 914) came when I bought one my senior year of High School. My first drive in a 911 came when I bought one just before my 38th birthday. In contrast, Kuri has his first drive in a 911 at 10 months.
     In the long run, though, I don't think this means a thing. Perhaps I'll be able to help my kids experience more cars than I did as a kid, but it will really come down to what they love. Hopefully one of them will love cars. If not, it won't make a damn bit of difference what car I drive. I'll have to find what inspires them and, to the greatest extent I can, help them embrace it. They may very well look back and see their father woefully deficient in the area that inspired them, but I'll still do my best.
It's impossible to know if Mimi and Kuri will have it better than I did as a kid. All I can do, as I think every other parent does, is to do my best to make it happen. I feel tremendously fortunate for the life my parents gave me. I will be quite happy if my children will someday be able to say the same.
At the very least, they have each other. And in that, already, they are quite lucky kids indeed.




No comments: