Monday, July 2, 2012

Two Weeks with Grandma

Fortunately, we were able to find fantastic daycare for Mimi by the time I started my new job.  Unfortunately, both our daycare centers decided to go on vacation in June, one the third week of June, one the fourth.  What to do?  Bring in Grandma. 

As I wrote previously, the offer letter for my new position arrived exactly one year - the the day - after I left my old job in New York.  In keeping with this "just in time" approach to a career, my first day of work was also the first day of my mother's retirement.  I guess it was just meant to be. 

Sumie and I were overjoyed to have such excellent back-up care, but not as happy as Mimi.  She'd get to spend four full days with Grandma, here in SF and at home, over two weeks.  I could barely get her to bed the first night before Grandma's visit.
Grandma took Mimi to the park...
...blew bubbles with her in the backyard...
...and even made sure she brushed her teeth after meals.
One of the days was cold and rainy, so Mimi played dress-up.  Here she is imitating her lovely Mama...
...and here's her J-pop debut.  I wonder if she'll make it into AKB48.
Of course, being the tomboy she is, Mimi couldn't spend all her time dressing up.  Before long she was astride her wagon, honking away.
And then she felt she had to wear a diaper on her head.  No, she's not in a sorority.  I don't get it either.  Maybe it's a manic toddler thing.
On Grandma's last day Mimi got to visit the neighborhood gym, which is decked out for toddlers.
The giant space was a bit intimidating, but Mimi found confidence riding fish...
...and playing under parachutes.
But the past two weeks weren't all play.  Mimi knew how hard Grandma was working taking care of her.  So she decided to help clean.  I'm still surprised Grandma didn't end up in the hospital after this shot.  
Mimi made the adjustment this week back to full-time daycare just fine, but I can tell she's wondering when Grandma will come back.  I have a feeling she's a little spoiled when Grandma's here.  Well, I guess that's what Grandma's are for, right?  Mom, thanks for watching our little one over the past two weeks.  It was a greater help than you know!

No comments: