Sunday, June 24, 2012

Put the Computer Away!!!

It's been two full weeks at my new job and I am sure of two things: I love it, and I'm tired.

The job itself is fantastic.  I'm teamed with a very diverse and insightful group of young people (I sometimes feel like the old hand) working to develop college-level courses on the internet and to revolutionize higher-ed along the way.  Very, very cool.  I'm thankful that I was able to secure a job, once again, with a mission in which I truly believe.  It goes a long way.

So too does working downtown!  My entire working life has been confined to small towns and suburbs.  Though I lived in Manhattan for 9 years, each day I would commute to the dowdy NJ suburb of Teaneck, where I'd look out on some trees, the traffic on I-95 rushing to NYC, and a parking lot.  The drive to work was always a bit of a letdown.  It wasn't until I started heading home and caught a glimpse of the New York skyline that my heart really started beating with feeling again.

Here in SF the tables have turned.  For the first time in my life I'm working "downtown."  And it rocks.  That surge I used to get coming home to Manhattan now occurs when I catch that first glimpse of the financial district on the bus as we head north around Arguello.  No matter what I'm listening to or reading, no matter where my head is, I always look up.

Simply being downtown keeps the beat going.  I'll sometimes take lunch on the roof of our building.  It's definitely an improvement over the Glenpointe Centre Parking Garage in Teaneck, NJ!
But there's a downside to all this.  I'm really tired when I get home.  90% of this I chalk up to the learning curve for my new position.  It's steep.  Fascinating, compelling, exciting, and rewarding, but steep.  By the time I get home each night my mind is a bit fried.

It's not just the challenge of a new job, though.  Part of it has to do with the commute as well.  Back in New York, I'd catch that first glimpse of the city - home - as I crossed the GW Bridge and my heart would begin beating a little faster.  My speed would pick up if the traffic allowed, often with the exhaust blast of an unnecessary but rewarding downshift, and I'd be heading for home energized.  Today I ride the bus.  I can't make it go faster.  Even by screaming at the traffic (trust me, I've already tried).  And I don't have that glimpse of the city signalling I'm coming home.  I'm not saying the commute home is a letdown, but there isn't that same adrenaline shot I used to get coming back into Manhattan.

I've been tired walking in the door each night for the past two weeks, and it's shown.  Earlier this week I asked Sumie why Mimi didn't want to play with me anymore.  She'd been rather standoffish toward me, particularly this last week, and I couldn't figure out why.  I thought it might have to do with me being away during the day (and it still might), but Sumie, I think, clued me in to the primary issue: "You're ignoring her!  You're always on your computer when you get home!"

I hate to admit it, but she was right.  Coming home each night my brain has been so worn out that I've taken to sitting on the couch in front of my laptop looking up anything that would take my mind out of work, and out of life.  I needed downtime, a way of clearing my head.  Unfortunately, this was pissing Mimi off.

When Sumie brought this up, I fought it for a few minutes, then finally coalesced.  She was right.  And so the laptop went away and I set my sights on playing with Mimi again.  As it turned out, we both welcomed the change!

The other day, laptop untouched, we headed to the backyard for some mischief.  It's been un-San Franciscanly sunny and warm recently, so we broke out the hose.  I'd shoot water up into the air...
...and Mimi would get drenched.  Occasionally she'd try to run away...
...but I was always able to track her down.  By the time we finished up, Mimi was soaked.  And quite happy.  
That led to both of us being genuinely tired.  Sumie, coming off a full week of work herself, was a bit sleepy as well.  As I watched the Giants game, Sumie and Mimi cuddled on the couch.  
Mama fell asleep first, and Mimi tried to wake her...
...but nap-time was simply too alluring.  Before long, both were asleep nestled across from me on the other side of the couch.  A very happy sight.  
I'm very happy to be back at work, but also happy to be learning how to find that balance between job and family.  Keeping that balance, at least for me, is the key to success both at work and at home.  And it's a lot more fun.

1 comment:

Christie Veitch said...

Awesome pics, and, also . . not missing Teaneck? GASP!! (lol)