Sunday, May 6, 2012

Swimming at Napa's Silverado

With our first year in San Francisco rapidly coming to a close, we finally made the surprisingly quick drive up to the Napa Valley for some kidney conferencing, swimming, and well-deserved relaxation.  Each year, UCSF invites local nephrologists for a day and a half of presentations and community building.  Sumie, being a bay area nephrologist who wasn't on call that weekend, not only got to go, she was able to bring her entire family as well.

The conference was held at the Silverado resort in Napa, which boasts a conference center, spa, heated pools, and a fantastic golf course.  It would be my job to entertain Mimi (which meant no golf for me) while Sumie was at the conference, and then we'd all be free to have fun in the off hours.  We arrived to find we'd been assigned a beautiful suite overlooking the golf course. 
Mimi loved being out on the balcony with her Mama.  
When it came to her Papa, though, Mimi preferred to stay inside and to keep the ogre out.  Let's just say I'm glad that she can't operate door locks just yet.  
The room even came with a fireplace.  Sumie and I let Mimi take the bedroom so we could camp out on the hide-a-bed and enjoy flames.  It was very relaxing.  So much so that Sumie fell asleep, sitting up no less, by 10:15. 
Several of the partners in Sumie's practice were able to attend as well, and they, like us, brought their kids along.  Here's Mimi with the group Lenny brought (Ashley, Gabe, and Chris).  Mimi had no shortage of attention.
In fact, Lenny and Ashley took Mimi on an adventure during dinner.  As Sumie and I enjoyed some quiet conversation without toddler, Mimi was out crossing bridges, running along streams, and pointing our frogs.  Ashley, who is only a 4th grader, was amazing with her.  When Mimi finally came back, she was beaming.  I asked her, "What did you see?"  "Bridges!" said Mimi.  She'd obviously had fun.

There was just one drawback to Mimi's adventure.  As we drove back to our room (it was on the opposite side of the course) I opened the sunroof to better take in the night air and sounds.  As the ribbits of frogs and chirrups of crickets welcomed us home I said to Mimi, "We're back!"  To which Mimi replied, "F*ck!"

This continued as we pulled her out of her car seat.
     "What was that Mimi?"
     "F*ck!" 
     "Excuse me?!"
     "F*ck!   F***********ck!"

It wasn't until we'd nearly reached our room that it clicked.  Frog!  Mimi was trying to say frog.  We worked on the word before bed, but, unfortunately, the pronunciation hasn't improved.  At least she's learned to clarify what's she's saying.  She now yells out, "F*ck!  Ribbit, ribbit!"

Despite the potty mouth, Mimi still got to partake in her favorite activity: swimming.  Though there wasn't a kiddie pool, the resort did have a fantastic heated pool.  Mimi and I spent a good hour and a half in the water on Friday and then, Mimi recognizing her father wasn't sufficiently sunburned, another 2 hours on Saturday.  Mama joined us Saturday afternoon once the conference concluded, much to Mimi's delight.  
Mimi shows no fear in the water, even though she doesn't know how to swim.  I think, in her mind, that she believes she can swim just fine and doesn't need Mama or Papa to hold her up.  While I have no doubt she'll be swimming soon, this cavalier attitude is a bit nerve-wracking.  Mimi's even taken to jumping into the water all on her own!
We only stayed one night at Silverado, but we came home relaxed and revived.  My only regret is that I didn't get to enjoy the amazing course.  Though my clubs were in the car, I didn't even make it to the driving range.  That's what happens when one travels with a toddler, I suppose.  I think next time we'll take Grandma and Grandpa or Obachan and Ojichan and perhaps stay an extra night.  They'd get a free place to say and Sumie and I just might get another evening out.  And maybe, just maybe, if I'm lucky, I'll be able to hit the links. 

No comments: